About The Bees … Did You Know
Did you know that bees are very important to our survival. Some experts argue that the world as we know it would only survive about 4 years without bees. As bees are important for pollination, without them there would be no foods such as apples, apricots, blueberries, nectarines, pumpkins, cherries, pears, cucumbers, carrots and many more. For pastures they are great for clover pollination, which is invaluable to the farmer.
A couple of videos to explain a little about bees, what they do and pollination
- The Worker bees make up most of the hives population and are females.
- The Drones are boys. Their job is to help keep morale in the colony and mate with the Queen bee.
- Bees have 5 eyes and 6 legs.
- Bees can dance. It is called the waggle dance. They do a dance to show the other bees where to go to collect the nectar.
- Each bee has a different job to do in the hive from water gatherer, to pollen gatherer, nectar gatherer, propolis gatherer.
- Only the Queen and worker bees can sting.
- The average beehive has more than 50,000 bees
- A bee can fly around a 5km radius of its hive if it needs to.
- Bees can fly around 25kph
- The average worker bee lives for about 5-6 weeks over summer.
- At her peak the queen can be laying around 2500 eggs per day
Some good resources to refer to for further information about bees